Indy-area schools reinstate mask mandates

Rise in positive cases prompts caution in many districts

Margaux White '23, Opinions and News Editor

Updated Aug. 17, 2021:

All school visitors must wear masks upon entering Brebeuf. Faculty, staff, and parents are asked to wear masks during Back to School Night on Wednesday, and the Mass of the Holy Spirit on Thursday will be held outside on the football field instead of in the gymnasium.

Westfield Washington and Brownsburg schools will require masks for indoor spaces starting Wednesday.

After what many thought was the beginning of the end of the pandemic, the Delta variant has begun its rapid spread just as students across the country return to school.

More than two times as contagious as previous strains, the Delta variant has led to the reconsideration of masks for both the vaccinated and unvaccinated, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Because of the continued rising cases and new research pertaining to the Delta variant, some local school districts have made the decision to require masks for all students and staff regardless of vaccination status. 

As of publication time, the following school districts are requiring masks of all students, staff, and visitors in school facilities:

• Indianapolis Public Schools
  • Lawrence Township
  • Pike Township
  • Washington Township
  • Warren Township
  • Wayne Township
  • Hamilton Southeastern
  • Carmel Clay
  • Noblesville 

Some districts started the school year with the mask requirement, while others made the decision after classes started. Everyone riding busses must wear masks because of federal requirements.

As of today, Brebeuf has not released any further mask requirements. Students who are vaccinated have the option of wearing a mask, and unvaccinated students are strongly encouraged to continue wearing a mask, said Principal Gregory VanSlambrook.Within the last week, Indiana has had a reported 3,000-case increase, according to the Indiana COVID-19 Data Report.