Brebeuf students take on fashion trends

Kiki Valadez '23, Staff Writer

Fashion trends tend to come and go, and after a few decades have passed trends come back again but usually with some type of twist.

Whether you’re delighted, displeased, or somewhere in between about it enough time has passed that the ‘90s seem to be making a comeback.

Over the past couple of months, I have noticed that certain styles mainly seen in the ‘90s and early 2000s are starting to become more popular, including extremely baggy pants, cargo pants, platform shoes, corsets, UGGs, and, of course, low-rise jeans.

These styles were made popular decades ago but are starting to make a return, especially in the past couple of months. However, even though people are bringing back the ‘90s, many people, students especially, use these styles as inspiration and then do their own thing.

Senior Kyrie Cross ‘23 explains her thinking when she puts together an outfit.

“I’m going to wear what I want to wear,” she said, but she also likes to take inspiration from the decades and people around her and then add her own unique spin on it.

Kiki Valadez

Boots have also been making a comeback, especially UGGs, from the Tasman slippers to the mini boots, UGGs are definitely here to stay.

Senior Arabella Jensen ‘23 is a huge lover of fashion and perhaps an even bigger lover of Moon Boots. Jensen even said Moon Boots were her favorite trend, so I’m sure she’s over the moon to hear that they are becoming more popular.

Myles Berry ‘24 tends to take a more casual and spontaneous approach to fashion. Berry says he “has horrible time management! With that being said, it is very difficult for me to put a lot of thought into my outfits. So really it is just all natural.”

Berry’s inability to manage his time does play out into his outfits but not in a negative way. His outfits always end up looking effortless while also conveying that he cares about his appearance.

There are plenty of fashion trends that everyone I talked to loves, but there were also a decent amount of things they disliked.

English teacher Kristin Chapman dislikes high-rise pants, and Jensen thinks low-rise pants are no good. Berry,Cross 23, and Leighton Christian ‘24 all agreed that MSCHF’s Big Red Boots are a hard no when it came to their sense of style.

Many students said they hate skinny jeans, especially Berry. Right now, ‘90s baggy pants are the way to go for maximum comfort and style.

Everyone agreed that their favorite part of fashion is having the ability to express themselves.

“Fashion is just a way to describe or express who I am,” Jensen said, “and express how I’m feeling every day.”