Danger Hunters: Captivating Creativity

Student Writer Publishes Novel

Ryan+McKibben

Ryan McKibben

Elizabeth Saunders, Copy Editor

Who doesn’t like aliens, underdogs, and criminal masterminds? Literally no one. Add in a robot and futuristic technology, and it’s basically a science fiction lover’s dream. Senior Ryan McKibben has channeled these classic science fiction components into an online serialized story entitled Danger Hunters, taking care to give each classic sci-fi element a unique twist in the process.

“I have a pretty rough idea of where the story is going, and I know how it’s going to end, but I’m really writing on a chapter-by-chapter basis, so there’s a lot of flexibility,” said McKibben. “I tend to take a lot of inspiration from movies and TV shows I watch, but this is mostly an original idea because I’ve been thinking about it for a while. Some of it came naturally. The story almost fit itself together.”

The story has already impressed more than students. Brebeuf English teacher Mr. Wagner said of McKibben’s new project, “I applaud anyone who writes for enjoyment. I think writing is the perfect craft because it really hones your talents.”

McKibben included a brief description of the plot of Danger Hunters on his website, giving readers a few clues about where the story is headed. According to this description, the story will follow six heroes, including former detective Jay Prior, his partner Nat Bishop, robot Arthur, ace pilot Lydia Munroe, ranger Samuel Roveda, and alien X’akeel. While investigating what appears to be a corporate conspiracy, the group will find that there is far more going on than they had originally suspected.

Danger Hunters is an idea that I’ve had for a few months, and I actually wanted to get around to doing it. Writing is my passion, but I haven’t had a chance to write in a while, so this was a good opportunity for me to flex my creative writing muscles,” said McKibben regarding why he began writing the story. McKibben hopes to one day put his passion to use and write professionally, either as an author or a screenwriter.

“There’s going to be a new chapter each week, so check back!” McKibben said. McKibben already has several chapters posted on his website, so anyone who wants to expand their literary horizons, read an entertaining story, support a friend, or avoid doing homework can read it. If they’re paying attention, readers just may be able to spot a classic Ryan McKibben pun or two.

McKibben’s story can be found online at https://dangerhuntersserial.wordpress.com/ .