Election Candidates, Roles, and Voter Information

Caroline Donahue

Students set up voter registration booth during lunch period

Caroline Donahue, Editor in Chief

As the 2022 Midterms approach rapidly, it’s time to start considering the candidates up for election this year. The November election is pivotal in the future of politics, as it will determine whether Democrats will remain in control of Congress, or if power will flip over to the Republicans. Also up for election is the Indiana State House and Senate, which hold just as much, if not more importance, than the national counterparts.  Below is a concise toolkit for the voter’s convenience, listing who is up for election in each district for U.S. Senate and House, as well as State Executive Positions. 

U.S. SENATE: The Senate has the sole power to confirm those of the President’s appointments that require consent, and to provide advice and consent to ratify treaties. The Senate also tries impeachment cases for federal officials referred to it by the House. In order to pass legislation and send it to the President for his or her signature, both the House and the Senate must pass the same bill by majority vote. If the President vetoes a bill, they may override his veto by passing the bill again in each chamber with at least two-thirds of each body voting in favor.

• Todd Young (R) 
  • Thomas McDermott (D)
  • James Sceniak (L)
  • Ellen Kizik (I)

U.S. HOUSE: The House has several powers assigned exclusively to it, including the power to initiate revenue bills, impeach federal officials, and elect the President in the case of an Electoral College tie. The presiding officer of the chamber is the Speaker of the House, elected by the Representatives. He or she is third in the line of succession to the Presidency.

• District 4
    • Roger Day (D)
    • Jim Baird (R)
  • District 5
    • Jeannine Lee Lake (D)
    • Victoria Spartz (R)
  • District 6
    • Cynthia Wirth (D)
    • Greg Pence (R)
  • District 7
    • André Carson (D)
    • Angela Grabovsky (R)
    • Gavin Maple (L)

STATE EXECUTIVE OFFICES:

Secretary of State: Present duties include chartering of new business, regulation of the securities industry, oversight of state elections, commissioning of notaries public, registration of trademarks and licensing of vehicle dealerships throughout Indiana.

• Destiny Scott Wells (D)
  • Diego Morales (R)
  • Jeff Maurer (L)

Treasurer: Upholds fiduciary responsibilities while investing and safeguarding public funds, overseeing the management of the state’s financial assets, and providing accurate and timely funding to state and local stakeholders.

• Jessica McClellan (D)
  • Daniel Elliott (R)

Auditor: Chief financial officer of the government of Indiana. The auditor serves a four-year term, and is responsible for maintaining all State accounts, which include obligations to other governing bodies and individuals, such as state employee compensation and tax money distribution.

• ZeNai Brooks (D)
  • Tera Klutz (R)

Use ballotpedia.org for information regarding Indiana House and Senate elections

Your district number can be found at http://iga.in.gov/legislative/find-legislators/