Brebeuf Students perform in “Death Takes A Holiday”

An in-depth look at this year’s fall play

Left to Right (Abby Replogel, Max Adams, Caroline Donahue) Alice and Daisy try to get the princes attention

Kate Williams ‘24, Copy Editor

This year’s play takes us to Italy, just after World War 1. We follow Death who has decided to take human form, in the hopes of learning more about life. 

While staying with a family, Death learns not only about life, but about love. As Death falls for one of the young women in the family.

Cecilia Stuart, a senior at Brebeuf Jesuit, plays the role of Grazia, a young woman with a large imagination and hopes of adventure and romance. 

Cecilia has been performing with the Brebeuf theater for all four years of her high school career. She has been in “110 Stories”, “The Addams Family”, and many other Brebeuf plays and musicals. 

When asked what the best part of playing Grazia was Celica said, “I would say just the innocence that she portrays is so interesting and fun to play. She starts out as kind of a child and grows up into a woman in all the span of the play.” 

However, being in a production requires a lot of hard work and grit. Stuart says that, “The hardest part is probably just getting into the emotion because anyone can learn a ton of lines but you have to be able to really feel what your character is feeling in order to portray it well.”

Appearing in his first Brebeuf production, Max Adams, a sophomore, plays the role of Prince Sirki (the human that Death takes the appearance of).

Max talked about how much he enjoyed the new experience of being in a play, something he had never done before.

Max also described the level of commitment that both the cast and the crew had in order to make the production such a success. 

“It’s the only thing that you’re doing for a while and I really did enjoy it but that was your entire life for a while.”

Max also reflected on how he felt about the performances after the play was done. Stating, “I feel like I accomplished something. I feel like I grew closer to a lot of people and I’m happy that I was a part of that.”

“Also, it feels like a little bit of a rollercoaster, like what do I do now? But I feel really good about it.”

The play was both engaging and inspiring. It entertained and captivated the audience, but still left us with a message about life and love. From the beautiful set to the quality of acting, this has been one of Brebeuf’s greatest productions yet.