The official newspaper of Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School.

Inside Prep

Breaking News
  • AsiaFest takes place April 25
  • Day 4 delayed opening on April 24
  • Students take ACT, PreACT, ECA Bio on April 23
  • Passover begins evening of April 22
  • Senior Mentors meet 1st PRT April 22 in Chapel
  • Prebeuf: Middle school students visit school April 21

Inside Prep

Inside Prep

The Rise of Intramural Basketball: A Slam Dunk Season
A change in weather affects Brebeuf

A change in weather affects Brebeuf

March 4, 2024

From the start of the second semester, Indiana has experienced unexpected extreme cold weather affecting school life, student drivers, and sports. With...

Committed Athletes

Committed Athletes

March 4, 2024

Aside from academic excellence, Brebeuf students flourish in sports. More than half of the student body at Brebeuf partake in sports. Balancing academics...

Spring Trial Schedule: Sink or Float?

February 21, 2024

If you’ve been at Brebeuf for the past few years, you probably know the eight day schedule by heart…or at least know it pretty well by now. But this...

Brebeuf outlasts Northview 55-50 in historic performance

A heroic offensive performance marks the first step on the Braves’ march to state
Emma Broach ’24
Javawn Brooks ’24 leads the Braves out of the tunnel in last week’s 48-27 win over Terre Haute North. This week, Brooks had a momentum-swinging third quarter interception that was the only takeaway of the game.

There is one second remaining in the first 4A Sectional 21 quarterfinal. The Northview Knights trail the Brebeuf Braves by 5, but have worked the ball all the way down to Brebeuf’s 12 yard line. Senior Knights QB Kyle Cottee steps to the line, 36 feet separating him and his team from the only truly perfect ending in football. One play will determine whether or not his season, and with it, his high school career, will continue.

But the eleven Brebeuf defensive players who stand on the other side of the line want to keep Cottee out of that endzone just as badly. Sure, this Braves defense isn’t filled with seniors. In fact, it was non-seniors Parker Maiers ’26 and Braylen Bowling ’25 who starred last night on the defensive side of the ball, recording 23 and 10 tackles respectively, and one TFL apiece. But even if this game could never be the final high school one for the majority of Brebeuf’s players, every single one of them fought as though it was.

Take QB Maverick Geske ’25 for example. I could write an entire story lauding Geske’s performance. The junior went 13-25 for 274 yards, and 7 TDs. Yes, SEVEN touchdowns. And yes, it’s a school record for touchdown tosses in a game. Along with that, Geske had a 20 yard scamper, was not sacked once, and threw zero interceptions. And you can’t forget about his backfield mate, RB CJ Harris ’25. Harris lined up for virtually every offensive snap of the game once more, and took 15 carries for 165 yards, also taking his only reception 5 yards to the house for his second receiving TD of the year.

When a quarterback puts up the numbers that Geske did, his pass catchers are expected to have big games as well. The pairing of Leroy Lewis ’24 (3 REC, 71 YRDS, 2 TD) and Taylor Clark ’25 (7 REC, 124 YRDS, 4 TD) continued to dominate, and have by now established themselves as a top receiving duo in the state. By now, they have certainly fulfilled IndyStar High School Sports Insider Kyle Neddendriep’s preseason prediction for Lewis and Clark’s success in their “expedition” for greatness (hopefully the social studies department will like that one).

Maybe it’s the history nerd in me but I’m enjoying the headline possibilities of Brebeuf’s top returning receivers: Lewis (LeRoy) and Clark (Taylor).

— Kyle Neddendriep, Indystar

Despite the power of the Brebeuf offense, there was a reason that this game came down to the last snap of the football. Entering the clash, the clear way for the Knights to stay up to pace with Brebeuf’s high-flying offense would be to establish the run game early. After all, this is a Northside team that entered the game averaging more rushing TDs per game (4.8) than passing completions (3.6), facing a rebuilding Brebeuf front seven that has allowed 266 yards rushing per game and been virtually helpless against the run all season.

Northview had no trouble establishing their gameplan early, completing just one pass in a first half that saw the Knights level with the Braves 21-21 at the break. On the ground, though, the Knights were unstoppable. They rushed for 600 yards, split primarily between Cottee (302 YRDS, 3 TD) and RB Tyler Lee (277 YRDS, 4 TD). And yes, they did record more rushing touchdowns (7) than passing completions (3).

Brebeuf’s special team performance also cannot be overlooked. First off, it was the special teams that kept the game tied heading into halftime, with Maiers blocking a 31 yard field goal try as the clock hit triple zeros. Then when Brebeuf was faced with an onside kick in the third quarter, Maiers snatched up the loose ball and took it all the way back to the endzone for his first touchdown of the season. That’s four return touchdowns this year for Coach Clem’s unit, just in case anyone was keeping track.

Warren’s 61 yard punt is longer than any punt that ten NFL teams have had all season.

After Maiers’ return touchdown, the Braves led 49-35. But Northview responded with a touchdown, and after a 3 and out for the Braves, P Quinn Warren ’24 unleashed a booming 61 yard punt which backed the Knights up inside their own 15. Even though Northview drove the length of the field to score a touchdown and two point conversion to go up 50-49, they left too much time for the Braves to reply.

Brebeuf marched easily down the field, with Harris recording a massive 18 yard gain on 3rd and 8 to keep the Braves alive. After Clark hauled in his 4th TD of the game (his 14 receiving TDs this year are the most in 4A), the Braves led 55-50. After a 15 yard scramble by Cottee on 4th and 4 down to the Brebeuf 12 on the ensuing Northview drive, we return to the moment of truth: one play to determine both of these teams’ seasons.

Anyone involved in football knows that this type of situation calls for a pass. Even with Northview’s incredible rushing performance all night, they were still averaging less than 9 yards a carry, and they needed 12 on this play. So when Cottee dropped back to throw for just the twelfth time all night, it was no surprise that his desperate heave to the endzone fell incomplete.

With that, Brebeuf’s football season continues. Next week, it’s back to their own backyard, as the Braves take on 5-5 Lebanon at home. I hate to make early projections, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a few more records get broken then. We’ll see you there at 7:00 PM.