The official newspaper of Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School.

Inside Prep

Breaking News
  • AsiaFest takes place April 25
  • Day 4 delayed opening on April 24
  • Students take ACT, PreACT, ECA Bio on April 23
  • Passover begins evening of April 22
  • Senior Mentors meet 1st PRT April 22 in Chapel
  • Prebeuf: Middle school students visit school April 21

Inside Prep

Inside Prep

The Rise of Intramural Basketball: A Slam Dunk Season
A change in weather affects Brebeuf

A change in weather affects Brebeuf

March 4, 2024

From the start of the second semester, Indiana has experienced unexpected extreme cold weather affecting school life, student drivers, and sports. With...

Committed Athletes

Committed Athletes

March 4, 2024

Aside from academic excellence, Brebeuf students flourish in sports. More than half of the student body at Brebeuf partake in sports. Balancing academics...

Spring Trial Schedule: Sink or Float?

February 21, 2024

If you’ve been at Brebeuf for the past few years, you probably know the eight day schedule by heart…or at least know it pretty well by now. But this...

Football moves on to sectional final with 70-49 win over Lebanon

Will the historic offensive run continue?
Job Sevume 25 looks on before Brebeufs 70-49 win over Northview. Sevume registered 6 tackles and an interception en route to a night that saw Brebeufs secondary pick off Northview QB Jackson Folden four times, all on consecutive third quarter drives.
Peyton Cummings ’24
Job Sevume ’25 looks on before Brebeuf’s 70-49 win over Northview. Sevume registered 6 tackles and an interception en route to a night that saw Brebeuf’s secondary pick off Northview QB Jackson Folden four times, all on consecutive third quarter drives.

On October 27th, just four days before Halloween, the Brebeuf Jesuit football team registered what might be their scariest performance yet. Brebeuf, coming off a high powered offensive battle against Northside, which finished 55-50, was looking to continue their offensive hot streak against Lebanon. Star quarterback Maverick Geske ‘25 has been on fire all season long, boasting an outrageous statlien of 2928 passing yards and 37 passing touchdowns with just 9 interceptions. To put this in perspective, Patrick Mahomes, quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs and reigning NFL MVP, had a statline of 41 passing touchdowns to 12 interceptions last season. 

Through the year thus far, Brebeuf’s passing offense has been the strength of this team. Geske has an arsenal of receivers to throw to, including Taylor Clark ‘25 (52 REC, 969 YDS, 16 TD), LeRoy Lewis ‘24 (50 REC, 694 YDS, 6 TD), Dylan Wells ‘24 (25 REC, 342 YDS, 5 TD), Jay Hmurovich ‘25 (20 REC, 389 YDS, 3 TD), and Edwin Watson ‘26 (13 REC, 176 YDS, 3 TD). 

Although the Braves have relied on Geske’s arm to get them this far, a different part of the team excelled Friday night. Prior to Friday, starting running back C.J. Harris ‘25 had been having an average season. Harris had 821 yards and four touchdowns on the ground, with an efficient 6.8 yards per carry. Harris has experienced pressure this season, primarily because he plays virtually every snap as the only proven option in Brebeuf’s running back room.

After a tipped pass turned-interception early in the first quarter, Harris was visibly angry at himself on the sideline, and looked to be on his way to one of his most disappointing performances of the year. But this mental mistake seemed to be what ignited Harris’ instinct to turn on his engine. Harris exploded for 325 rushing yards, adding another ten through the air. Not only did Harris eclipse 1000 rushing yards on the season and break the school record for postseason single game rushing yards, he also punched in six touchdowns on the ground. 

While the final score may not look the part, the Braves defense had a great game as well. Led by Parker Maiers ‘26 (20 TKLS, 1 TFL), a sophmore currently on pace to become Brebeuf’s new all time tackle leader, the Braves held Lebanon to just 279 rushing yards – a mark that is well under the Braves average for rushing yards given up. Garland Davenport ‘26 (10 TKLS, 1 TFL) and Finn Scroggins ‘25 (5 TKLS, 1 INT, 1 TD) also excelled on the Braves defense, boasting season-best stat lines. Lebanon’s score was kept low for the large majority of the game, but a backup Brebeuf defense led to an inflated Lebanon statline. 

Red hot off the big win in the semi-final, Brebeuf will host Moorseville in the sectional final on Friday, Nov 3. Mooresville runs a balanced and effective offense, led by running back Hogan Denny and wide receiver Levi Dorn. Until the raw talent on the Braves’s defense fully develops, the Braves will be spotted in shootouts all over the place. If you love points and you love high school football, then the Braves will be a team to watch for the remainder of their season.