Head Counselor Departs for New Career

Brebeuf Bids Farewell to Mrs. Money-Bradey

Gino Maley, Copy Editor

What makes a school counselor? For those who haven’t heard, Brebeuf’s very own Jen Money-Brady is moving on from the school to work at the Joseph Maley Foundation as she pursues her doctorate degree. Money-Brady is a famous face across Brebeuf, and is one who champions the spirit of compassion and understanding that embodies the school counseling office. Money-Brady has an immense passion for her students, and does her best to be a person any student can turn to when they have an issue. In order to say a proper farewell to such a beloved figure in the school, this Arrow reporter set up an interview in Money-Brady’s happily decorated, candy-filled office.

Gino: How are you today?

Money-Brady: I’m great!

G: So I’m just going to jump right into this- Why did you want to be a School Counselor? Has it turned out to be what you expected?”

MB: It’s a long story, but I was in junior year education at Butler and a teacher asked what I was into- school psychology- and he told me that that was a lot of tests and things, and asked if I had looked into school counseling, which I later switched to while at Butler. Originally I was thinking elementary counseling, but I did my internship at Carmel Highschool and fell in love with this age group. Teaching these kids- you can actually have a real conversation and help people with actual problems. It has both been and been not what I expected. I imagined it a lot as students coming in for appointments like a therapist, but instead it’s more go-with-the-flow, helping students that come in with immediate, important problems. It’s stressful but very rewarding, and I wish there were more professors and programs that could offer that.

G: Describe an average day for you.

MB: I’ve learned in my time at Brebeuf that whenever I think I’m going to have an average, predictable day, I’m wrong. It’s a good thing and a bad thing, but being in Brebeuf makes it so it’s never the same day over and over again.

G: In your own words, what are you expecting/hoping your new job at the Joseph Maley Foundation to be, and can you explain to those who don’t know what JMF is

MB: The Joseph Maley Foundation’s mission statement is to serve children of all abilities, and I think that my role as director of engagement will be to serve as the glue to the current programs such as disability awareness, service days, Kids on the Block Puppet troupe, as well as others. Also, we are working to create a mental health awareness program, which is exciting for me because I’ll be able to work with students of all different backgrounds, not singularly Brebeuf kids. I see this happening in more ways with the mental health awareness by having more talks, and moving the discussion of abilities solely from younger children to high schoolers and more mature audiences. This program is going to about not just depression and mental illnesses but also normal issues and normal life skills that kids should know- how to move past anxiety and how to deal with issues that aren’t on the extreme level. As a counselor now I think we have these things in our programs now, but we could always use more.

G: You talked a lot about mental health- why specifically has that been something that you’ve really connected with and grown into?

MB: So, mental health and depression awareness is really important because I think a lot of times we say ‘you go see a therapist for help with a problem,’ but what about the normal day to day problems? How do we create a system for those that aren’t extreme? That’s why I’m earning my doctorate- so that I can learn more about how to do that and bring it to JMF. Through my past seven years I’ve seen many examples of students who they or their friends could benefit from that and I’m hoping to provide that.”

G: I think you’re right and it’s very exciting that something so important and so under-discussed is going to be brought to light. One last question, and I’m going to leave this purposefully vague: Do you believe you’ve made an impact?

MB: I hope I have- That’s what I hope every day.

G: Is there anything else you’d like to say?

MB: Yes! I’ve been asked a lot about me staying connected to Brebeuf. I would love to stay connected, and the opportunity is perfect. There are lots of brilliant students here who are great at critiquing programs and the Junior Board at JMF gives students a good opportunity to do that and help create the Mental Health/Life program.”

If there is one takeaway from Money-Brady’s career at Brebeuf, it’s that people should be open and free to discuss their problems and seek advice. Brebeuf is a special place- adults and kids form relationships beyond schooling, and lasting friendships blossom within these walls. Any student has a trusted adult that they can turn to, and for many, that has been Jen Money-Brady. While it is sad to see such a beloved friend go, it is exciting to see that Money-Brady is pursuing her dream of becoming Dr. Money-Brady, Farewell Mrs. Money-Brady, and thank you from the bottom of our hearts for all you have done.