Parking Lot Problems: Plight Persists

Elizabeth Saunders, Copy Editor

It’s that time of year again. Students and teachers alike are back to waking up early, driving to school, and waiting for seemingly endless amounts of time just to turn into Brebeuf’s front drive. Every single year, the first several weeks of school are characterized by subpar driving in the drop off area and parking lot as new parents and student drivers learn the rules of the road.

And just like every other year, people are sick of it. “A few days ago I waited twelve minutes at the stoplight on 86th just to turn into Brebeuf, and I was late to class because of that!” said senior Sarah Connors.

She is not alone. Quite a few Brebeuf students have arrived at 86th and Township Line Road by 8:05, yet have still ended up being late to school due to congestion in that area.

It’s not just Brebeuf students who are affected by this heavy traffic. Other drivers who aren’t affiliated with Brebeuf get held up by it, particularly when parents, students, and teachers try to turn into Brebeuf’s front drive when there isn’t enough room for them. Generally, this just ends up blocking 86th entirely so that other drivers can’t get through.

After-school pickup is no better. It can take up to 15 minutes to get out of the Brebeuf parking lot. Many find this very frustrating, especially at around 3:25 when it gets particularly chaotic.

Mr. Rott, who directs traffic around this time every day, has seen it all. “The most annoying thing is when people try to do a three point turn around while they’re in line to pick up their kids,” said Rott. “They just slow everyone down.”

However, it’s not all bad news. “This year it’s been so much better,” said Rott of the after school driving. “Although, we do catch seatbelts and texting every once in awhile. Well, actually we catch people who DON’T wear seatbelts and who DO text. Hopefully people don’t get those mixed up. You’re supposed to wear the seatbelt but not text. That’s important.”

In past years, the traffic has become markedly better as the school year progresses. As more sports and clubs begin their various practices and activities, additional students will be coming in early or staying after school, lightening the load on Brebeuf’s strained drive during its busiest times. Students, teachers, and parents alike find themselves anxiously awaiting the day when the traffic doesn’t feel endless.