Teens and Tats: Do They Mix?

Braves Express Their Views (and Show Their Ink)

Olivia Totten shows off her tattoo from the Great Gatsby: The Eyes of Doctor T.J. Eckleburg

Dorian McCarroll, Staff Writer

There are different ways for people to express themselves here at Brebeuf. Some play an instrument, some sing in the choir, and some use art as a creative outlet. Some students decide to express themselves with artwork on their bodies in the form of tattoos.

Senior Emily Poole has to balance the desire to get a tattoo with her mother’s, French teacher Peggy. Poole’s, desire for her not to. Emily believes that tattoos are a great method of self-expression. She says that tattoos have become a part of culture now. Mrs. Poole, on the other hand, would rather not see the ink. Although her mother opposes her choice right now, Emily does say she will get at least one tattoo.

Mr. Hamlett, a football coach and history teacher, discussed his opinions towards tattoos as well. Hamlett says that he’s always passed on tattoos but doesn’t really have an opinion on them one way or another. “I find some of them to be aesthetically pleasing,” the exceptions being tacky barbed wire tattoos and the animal claws “scratching” the person’s skin off.

Olivia Totten ‘16 thinks that tattoos are a way for someone to express themselves. “Tattoos are totally cool if people want to get them,” Totten said. There aren’t any tattoos that she does not like because all tattoos are personal. Totten has a Triskellion, which is the symbol of the region in France she stayed in. She has cat faces on her knees because she loves cats, the eyes of Dr. T.J. Eckleberg from The Great Gatsby because she sees them as a beautiful piece of art, and finally an orca since that is her spirit animal.

Meredith Ringel, class of 2016, has an anchor on her hip, which represents her late grandfather who was in the Navy. She says he was the true father figure in her life. The cross on the ankle is a symbol of her faith because she says, “Jesus has walked with me through my struggles.” Lastly, Ringel has the word “free” on her ribcage, which is also in reference to her faith. This tattoo commemorates the moment she found happiness and peace when Jesus set her free.

Branden Jensen ‘16 is creative guy who is very talented with his film production. His tattoo is on his left inner forearm and reads “Creative Minds”. Having to be imaginative can be difficult, and Jensen says his tattoo is a constant reminder to never let that creativity die.

Senior Sydney Epply shows particular enthusiasm when it comes to tattoos, especially her own. She and her mother have corresponding tattoos (see photos). The quote comes from the Robert Munsch book, Love You Forever. Since Epply and her mother are so close, they thought a perfect reflection of their bond would be getting the tats together. Sydney says that she would never regret a person’s tattoo because they represent who the person was when they got it.

Sarah Palkowitz ‘16 is also a part of the tattoo team. She has a four-leaf clover on her hip. Like Sydney, her tattoo also goes with her mom’s. Both Sarah and her mother have the four-leaf clover, and there is also a meaning behind it. Sarah was born on St. Patrick’s Day and says that she and her mother are each others’ “good luck charms.”