The official newspaper of Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School.

Inside Prep

Breaking News
  • AsiaFest takes place April 25
  • Day 4 delayed opening on April 24
  • Students take ACT, PreACT, ECA Bio on April 23
  • Passover begins evening of April 22
  • Senior Mentors meet 1st PRT April 22 in Chapel
  • Prebeuf: Middle school students visit school April 21

Inside Prep

Inside Prep

The Rise of Intramural Basketball: A Slam Dunk Season
A change in weather affects Brebeuf

A change in weather affects Brebeuf

March 4, 2024

From the start of the second semester, Indiana has experienced unexpected extreme cold weather affecting school life, student drivers, and sports. With...

Committed Athletes

Committed Athletes

March 4, 2024

Aside from academic excellence, Brebeuf students flourish in sports. More than half of the student body at Brebeuf partake in sports. Balancing academics...

Spring Trial Schedule: Sink or Float?

February 21, 2024

If you’ve been at Brebeuf for the past few years, you probably know the eight day schedule by heart…or at least know it pretty well by now. But this...

Kombucha: Why You Should Love It

Kombucha+selection+at+Trader+Joes+
Kombucha selection at Trader Joe’s

Kombucha seems to be growing in popularity, but people tend to have mixed opinions on this fermented tea. You either love it or you hate it. But why should you love it? 

Kombucha comes with countless health benefits, one of the driving forces of its rising demand. Because kombucha is fermented, bacteria and acids form in the tea and act as a probiotic. This bacteria is directly linked with healthy brain functioning and stable emotional states, and it also works to prevent several other health issues like heart disease, dementia, and cancer. Kombucha is also said to create healthy gut health, help digestion, rid body toxins, and boost energy.  

Mr. Petty is a big fan of kombucha as he believes in many of their health benefits. Upon asking him about the effects of kombucha, he replied, “The good bacteria in your gut from kombucha creates most of the neurotransmitters that your brain needs to be healthy and to think clearly. The fermented tea also allows your gut to be better at producing serotonin and dopamine.” Mr. Petty also says that he recommends kombucha to some of his students as it has been shown to improve ADHD and even mental health due to the addition of serotonin and dopamine. 

Upon hearing the benefits of kombucha, I took two friends, Audrey Edwards ’25 and Audrey Hamilton ’25, to Trader Joe’s so they could give an honest review of the tea. I suggested my favorite flavor: trilogy from the brand Synergy. 

Audrey Edwards mentioned, “I definitely can taste the raspberry and ginger. It’s good and very refreshing. Out of 10, I would give it a 9.2.” 

Audrey Hamilton shared the enthusiasm by explaining that she thought the flavor was good, but not as good as the strawberry flavor she had previously tried. However, she one-upped Audrey Edwards and gave the trilogy flavor a solid 9.3. 

Audrey Hamilton ’25 and Audrey Edwards ’25 upon trying their first sips of Kombucha

Overall, both of the critics were very pleased with their kombucha experience. They decided they would both start drinking more kombucha and that many more Trader Joe’s runs would be in their future.