The official newspaper of Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School.

Inside Prep

Breaking News
  • AsiaFest takes place April 25
  • Day 4 delayed opening on April 24
  • Students take ACT, PreACT, ECA Bio on April 23
  • Passover begins evening of April 22
  • Senior Mentors meet 1st PRT April 22 in Chapel
  • Prebeuf: Middle school students visit school April 21

Inside Prep

Inside Prep

The Rise of Intramural Basketball: A Slam Dunk Season
A change in weather affects Brebeuf

A change in weather affects Brebeuf

March 4, 2024

From the start of the second semester, Indiana has experienced unexpected extreme cold weather affecting school life, student drivers, and sports. With...

Committed Athletes

Committed Athletes

March 4, 2024

Aside from academic excellence, Brebeuf students flourish in sports. More than half of the student body at Brebeuf partake in sports. Balancing academics...

Spring Trial Schedule: Sink or Float?

February 21, 2024

If you’ve been at Brebeuf for the past few years, you probably know the eight day schedule by heart…or at least know it pretty well by now. But this...

Miss Murphy In-Depth

An interview with Brebeuf’s new assistant director of campus ministry
Ava Rainwater ‘24
Murphy downplays her mad chess skills in her office.
From left: Claire Curran, Amanda Murphy, and Ben Hutchinson cheese for the camera while on Kairos. (Ava Rainwater ‘24)

World traveler, chess master, Taylor Swift enthusiast: Amanda Murphy, Brebeuf’s new Assistant Director of Campus Ministry, is all of these and more.

Having been at Brebeuf for only a few months, she has already become a valuable member of the Brebeuf community.

Murphy, 24, grew up in Arlington Heights, Illinois, just outside of Chicago, and attended St. Viator High School.

Murphy graduated from Butler with a degree in youth community development, which she describes as “basically education” with a specific interest in working with kids outside the classroom. Before coming to Brebeuf, she worked as a theology teacher at Providence Cristo Rey High School.

She attributes her calling to campus ministry to her own experience with it in high school.

“My high school self was always hungry, and always tired,” she said. “The campus ministry had food and a couch. And so I was there.”

Campus ministry ultimately helped Murphy find her leadership roles, amazing opportunities, and confidence. And now she wants to do the same for Brebeuf students.

“I just want to have the opportunity to pass on those leadership opportunities and that kindness and the ability to understand God as a figure of love to other people,” she says.

Though adjusting to Brebeuf has not been easy, Murphy already loves it here. She notes that although the schedule has been confusing, her adjustment has been helped by mentors in the building.

Outside of her work at Brebeuf, Murphy loves reading and being at the library, as well as listening to music. Her favorite musicians are Taylor Swift, Mac Miller, Leon Bridges, and Kacey Musgraves.

In addition, Murphy is a chess player, though she claims that she is “not great” at it.

“I think people constantly underestimate women in chess,” she said, “so it’s easier to be better than people think.”

Murphy is an avid traveler. She has been to Paris, London, Dublin and Normandy, to name a few of her destinations. Her favorite of her travels, she said, was Portugal, where she went surfing and cave hiking.

Shaughn Phillips, Director of Campus Ministry, says that “it has been a joy to work with Miss Murphy. I’m particularly grateful because last year I was in Campus Ministry by myself, so to have an Assistant Campus Minister to help out has been a blessing.”

Now with Murphy’s help, Phillips is most looking forward to being able to create more opportunities for students within Campus Ministry.

“[Murphy] brings a different set of skills and passions and gifts from my own. So to be able to see outside of my perspective and be able to grow what is possible for Campus Ministry and to accompany students in their spiritual journeys is something that I’m really looking forward to,” says Phillips.

Maggie Webber ‘27 describes Murphy as “considerate, kind, and helpful.” According to Webber, Murphy has created a space for Webber and her friends to hang out and relax.

Murphy encourages students to stop by her office, now located at the west end of the main hallway, whether it be to talk, grab a piece of candy or hang out.

“My office door is always open,” Murphy said, “and I’m a huge people person, and I want to meet everyone.”